While I was on Christmas break, I did some cleaning around my room and came across an old Cosmopolitan magazine (a January 2008 with Hilary Duff on the cover, to be specific!) and I noticed I had a few tabs sticking out of the pages. One article I bookmarked was titled Feel Happier - 20 Little Ways. I can see why I wanted to save this article going into a new year; just reading the pointers made me feel a little happier and I wanted to share some of my favourites with you! Like the heading reads: Entering January with a list of what you need to change is a real downer. Instead, take stock of what you love, and upgrade them. I love that :)
- Love sleeping in on Saturdays? Make your bed even more of a haven by buying the coziest sheets. Invest in some that have at least 250-thread count -- the higher the number, the softer the feel.
- On Monday morning, upgrade your usual coffee to a latte. I personally love my morning espressos more than anything, but whatever floats your boat :)
- Postvacation, keep your high going by researching where you want to go on your next trip. Brian and I have already started doing this! We really wanna plan something for the upcoming spring.
- Stock your bathroom with relaxing scents like lavender and sandlewood, so every time you take a bath, you can easily turn it into a minispa. I probably don't take baths enough to help unwind, but definitely filling a bathroom or any room in the house with these scents can make a difference. For Christmas, our dad gave us some lavender and spear-mint scented natural soaps I can't wait to try.
- Sunday night is a quiet, stay-at-home kind of evening. So make it a ritual with your guy or group of pals to cook a meal that's a little more gourmet and delicious that's your usual. Or whatever night works for you :) I think taking the time to make a nice home cooked meal with someone(s) special is a lovely way to spend an evening.
- During the winter, get a year round flowering plant for your pad so you'll feel springy and fresh even when it's subzero out. I'm big on this one! There's nothing I love more than fresh flowers, especially during the winter months.
- Put together an energizing and inspiring playlist just for your commute to work... and a more calm and relaxing one for your trip home. This really depends on my mood, to be honest. In fact, most of the time I'm caught listening to the jazz station on both commutes (it's so relaxing!)
- Create a reading area to make settling in with a load of magazines or a good book even more enjoyable. Pick a cozy, nicely lit corner of your couch, and add a soft blanket and small table for you to rest a drink on. One of my favourites! I've always dreamed of a nice window seat for this or a quiet corner of the house, like a small office or spare / guest bedroom.
- There's nothing like a glass of wine at the end of a long day. Splurge on a couple snazzy, high-end glasses, like ones by Riedel, that are designed to optimize the aroma and flavour of your vino. They honestly make all the difference. I've personally never heard of these glasses, but they sound great for a fellow wine lover like myself! A nice glass of white wine actually sounds so nice right now...
- Celebrate the fact that you've made it to midweek by treating yourself to a small dessert at lunch -- like a cupcake or chocolate chip cookie.
I actually (unknowingly) did this today! During my quick break, I picked up a maple pecan strudel that I ate much too quickly.
- Mmm...spaghetti. Up the yum factor by adding big, juicy black olives and shaved Romano or Parmesan cheese to your noodles and basic marinara sauce. How yummy does this sound? (Take notes, Brian?)
Which pointers are your favourite? Do you make New Year's resolutions or like to make fun upgrades? Let me know in the comments!
Article by: Bethany Heitman